Wednesday, September 29, 2010

They will know we are Christians by our love

I wrote a note on facebook this morning. I will repeat it here:

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are also to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." ~John 13:34-35

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." ~Galatians 6:9-10

I came across a website that shows, in a collection of articles and opinions, the journey of a Christian from faith to skepticism to rejection of Christianity. I will not post the site as I do not think his message is one to share. But he does make an excellent point. He cannot accept Christianity because Christians, who are supposed representatives of Christ, do not love. And if true disciples are known by their love, there must not be any.
This breaks my heart.
And so I will now apology to many of you, mainly those that I know from high school, that I have not shown love to you. I like to argue and I like to be right and so I apology for hateful things that I have said and misrepresenting my Christ.
I cannot apologize for other "Christians," sometimes I wish the wackos would all be quiet. What I can say is that I hope and pray for a change. Starting with me. That we, my fellow followers of Christ, will show our love. That being a Christian will mean we are different. That we will start living that we are not of this world and that people would know it. That they will KNOW we are Christians by our LOVE. That they will know CHRIST by our LOVE.

I still do not agree with social justice [ie by the government and not individually and within the church] and politically I remain conservative. I cannot guarantee that I will not comment on your posts with reasons why I disagree. But I hope to do so in a spirit of love not of a sense to be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment